Notable blog posts, articles and happenings on the web this week:
- Joanna Penn has put together a quick summary of Mark Coker’s ebook – ‘The Secrets to Ebook Publishing Success’. The book is worth a quick read and the best part is that it is currently available free. Download the PDF version here.
- Microsoft has committed to invest 605 Million dollars in Barnes and Noble’s Nook venture in a bid to capture a share of the fast growing ebook (and Amazon Kindle) market.
- Fantasy writer Ed Robertson has been comparing the Amazon Kindle ranks of ” tons and tons of different books on different browsers” to fathom the mind of Amazon’s algorithm. His initial discoveries led him to believe that Amazon maintained 3 different versions of a given list. In a subsequent blog post, Ed draws the conclusion that even though there is just one list, Amazon’s algorithm is now weighting free sales differently than before causing the end of the “3-day-post- free-promotion-sales-bump”. There’s also a stimulating discussion on this topic happening on Kindleboards with a number of Indie authors proposing that they get out of the Kindle Select program.
- Data geek and author Phoenix Sullivan has also done a piece about Amazon’s mysteries and even provided sales numbers on her various books.
- Talking of Kindle free days, author Judy Powell has had success by giving away her book for free. In this interview with BookBuzzr she covers her experiences as she rode up the charts on Amazon .