Guest Expert: Teresa Morrow
The statistics continue to rise regarding the importance of social media marketing, such as Facebook, for authors. The power of Facebook allows a more direct connection with the author creating a more personal experience for any avid reader. By implementing the following basic fundamentals, Facebook can showcase you as an author readers should get to know.
5 Basic Facebook Fundamentals:
- Author Profile Picture: Choose a picture of yourself that really reflects you as an author. For you this can be you dressed up as a character from your book. Or it could be of you dressed in professional attire. Even though you are an author of a book, it is recommended to have the picture be of you the author and not of your book cover. People like to connect with the person not the product.
- Interests: Don’t underestimate the importance of filling out the personal interests, such as hobbies, movies and books (especially this one!) of your Facebook profile. This section may seem trivial however, it could be a great way for your readers to get to know more about you, which is what they want. You are creating a more personal connection between you and your readers. Remember, you don’t have to write down every single interest either…just highlight a few of your favorite interest with detail.
- Pictures: Again, your readers will love to get to know you better and to see you out in your everyday life. One great way to share more about you with your readers is with pictures. Be sure these are pictures don’t show you in any way that could be deemed inappropriate or unprofessional. Perhaps a picture of you with some of your readers at a local book signing or you with one of your favorite authors.
- Connecting: The main reason for social media is to be social. Don’t just set up your author profile and then come on Facebook sporadically. Create a social media schedule for yourself and be as consistent as possible. Take the time to engage in conversations, meet new people, share your ideas, and be there to support others. Let your online community know you are on Facebook because you want to be there.
- Sharing: Just as you want to know more about other people on Facebook, realize that people will want to know more about you. As you are connecting, be sure to offer glimpses of different aspects of your life (however, don’t reveal what you don’t want the world to know about because what you reveal will be online forever). You can share about the subject matter of your book , your expertise, offer tips, resources, link to your blog posts, and industry news with your Facebook community.
Facebook has been consistently gaining in popularity and the trend does not seem to be slowing down (especially since a little movie came out called ‘Social Network’). With the basic Facebook fundamentals as having a author profile picture, filling out the personal interests, adding pictures , connecting and sharing, you will find Facebook to be a great vehicle to showcase the message of your book. Facebook is a wonderful delivery platform you to share their expertise, knowledge and interests directly with your fans…your readers on a global scale.
Teresa Morrow combines her three passions: writing, reading and networking in her business, Key Business Partners, LLC. She manages online promotional and marketing campaigns for authors and writers. She is an Editor at Large at WE Magazine for Women ™ and active member of Women in eCommerce. Teresa is passionate about helping authors and writers share their unique message to the world and offers a 20 minute free consultation. She also contributes a weekly blog column at Successful Blog titled, “Social Media Book List” and monthly guest posts at Book Buzzr.com in the series ” TGIF Book Marketing Tips”. For more information, you can contact her via email or visit her website.